Today let me share with you my recipe for Rava Sheera. This popular Indian dessert can be prepared in a jiffy, without any advance preparations or elaborate procedures and requires only a few simple ingredients.
It's great for those sudden sweet cravings - like the one I had yesterday evening!
Conventionally speaking, Sheera is a bit too sweet and oily for my taste. This recipe is for a milder Sheera than what is usually prepared. You can increase the quantities of ghee and sugar according to your taste. Feel free to experiment... that's the best way to learn and it's fun too! :)
1 cup rava(semolina)
1 cup milk
2 cups water
2 tbsp ghee
4 cardamoms (powdered)
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup sugar (some recipes use even upto 3/4 cup sugar)
1 tbsp raisins
a pinch of saffron
1 tbsp chopped cashewnuts/almonds
Serve Sheera piping hot, warm or when properly cooled - It tastes great either ways. Personally speaking, I enjoy having Sheera slightly warm, with a nice hot cup of tea.
- Heat the ghee in a kadai.
- When hot, add the cashewnuts and sauté for a few seconds, then add the rava.
- Roast the rava on medium flame, until it turns a light golden brown in colour. Stir it intermittently to ensure that it does not stick to the pan or burn.
- Now, add the cardamom, raisins and sugar and mix well.
- Slowly add the milk and water, stirring continuously to avoid formation of lumps.
- Cook on a low flame, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens and starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Your Rava sheera is ready to eat...enjoy!
My humble apologies for the weak presentation, but my toddler... and I... were in too much of a hurry to just dig in and that was the only picture I could manage! :P
I hope you enjoy the recipe. Do try it out and feel free to leave your questions in the comments below. I'll be sure to answer them. Genuine feedback and nice, sweet comments are also always welcome ;)
This recipe is an entry to Monsoon Snack Challenge for The Hub @ Archana’s Kitchen challenges.
To receive simple, quick and easy recipes straight into your inbox, subscribe using the form below.
When you subscribe via email, you will also receive exclusive stuff that I share privately with my subscribers only.
Your email is safe with us: We will never share your details or spam you!
Labels: DESSERTS, RECIPES