200 grams prawns
2 cardamom (elaichi)
1" piece cinnamon
1 tsp garlic-ginger paste
1 big Onion (finely chopped)
2 green chillies (slit lengthwise)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
- Wash and soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes.
- Clean and de-vein the prawns. Apply garlic-ginger paste and some salt and keep aside.
- Take the ghee in a microwave cooker and add to it the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves. Microwave at high for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and slit green chillies. Mix well and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the prawn mixture, the turmeric powder and chilli powder and mix well. Cook covered for about 2 minutes.
- Lastly add the rice, water and salt. Mix well and cook at 100% for 8-10 minutes. Then cover it and cook at 60% for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve hot with any raita or gravy of your choice. We enjoyed it with this Veg Makhanwala.
*Adjust the water according to the instructions on the pack if any. Generally, the ratio is 2 cups water for 1 cup rice. However, I used locally available rice which I have cooked before, so I knew from experience that I would need only 1½ cups water.
Ideas and tips
- I have used only mushrooms and peas. You can use any other vegetables of your choice.
- Adjust the number of chillies used according to their pungency or to suit your palate.
- I have used the Milton microwave cooker, but you can use any microwave safe dish. You can also cook it any other way that you normally cook pulao.