½ cup frozen peas*
½ cup cauliflower florets
¼ cup macaroni (optional)
2 tbsp ghee
½ inch piece cinnamon
| 1 Onion|
2-3 green chillies
½ inch piece ginger
A pinch of turmeric (optional)
1 tsp peppercorns
1 cup milk
1 tbsp Maida
2 tbsp coriander/parsley
Salt to taste
2) Chop the onions. Chop the green chillies and ginger very fine.
1) Prepare the vegetables and macaroni
- Peel and chop the potato and carrot into cubes.
- Allow the peas to defrost.
- Cook the macaroni according to the instructions on the pack
3) Heat the Ghee in a pan and add the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and peppercorns. When ready, add the Onion and fry until transparent and the raw smell is gone.
4) Next, add the green chillies and ginger and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the turmeric powder.
5) Add the chopped vegetables and fry for a couple of minutes. Then add a little water and salt. Cover and cook on a low flame until the vegetables are soft but not overcooked.
6) Mix the maida with the milk, ensuring that no lumps are formed and pour into the pan. Add the coriander and mix well. Add the macaroni & mix gently.
7) Allow to simmer for a few minutes and serve hot garnished with coriander.
*If dried peas are used, soak them overnight and partially cook them first
Ideas and tips
- The recipe can be adapted to make any stew. I once modified it into a prawn stew by adding cooked prawns and prawn stock instead of water. You can try the same with any meat of your choice.
- Another variation is to add a pinch or 2 of dried herbs. I somehow like to add them to most of my dishes.
- You can adjust the number of chillies used according to their pungency or to suit your palate.